Wednesday, November 14, 2007

My book.

My first book was published in May 2004. Its title is a long one: Storytelling in the Pulps, Comics and Radio: How Technology Changed Popular Fiction in America. I love reciting that title to people when I tell them I've been published--I get these absolutely blank looks 85% of the time when they try to figure out what the heck it must be about.

The title says it all, though. It's an exploration of how new technologies (and changes in society that came from technological advances--such as an increase in literacy) created new ways for stories to be told. I concentrate on media that have since been largely supplanted by television and other even later tech advances: old-time radio, adventure comic strips and pulp magazines.

It's not a heavily academic work, though. I wrote it in a conversational and often (hopefully) humorous style. People seem to have enjoyed reading it.

If your interested in seeing what my book looks like (and seeing a few excerpts from the nifty, keen reviews the book garnered), here's a link to the publisher's web site:

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-1902-9

It's a tad on the expensive side, but a lot of libraries around the country have it. If your library doesn't have it, request that they do. It's the cheapest way to get your hands on it. Of course, if you want to buy it and line my pockets with another dollar or two, feel free to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...